Who's Reading?

Monday, July 4, 2011

Happy HOLLAday!

Hey gang!

Audrey has dropped a couple of gentle, subtle hints asking if I've had any trouble logging onto the blog, have I checked my email, and so on, leading me to believe she wants me to get on with it already and post my introduction (haha). So, without further adieu...(ado? A dooo?)

Hi!

I'm Ashley, I'm a thirtysomething (actual numbers aren't necessary, right?), and I live in Little Rock, Arkansas with my awesome husband Cliff and my two awesome kids - Lucy who just turned 3 and Sadie who is rapidly approaching the big 5....months. As soon as I figure out how to post pictures of these two adorable munchkins, I will do so, but until then, take my word for it that these girls are cutie patooties. I'm an attorney and work in a little firm with my dad and two other lawyers. Keepin' it all in the family.

I have also recently taken up running again since having Sadie. I finished up the C25K program the week of my thirtysomething birthday in mid-June and still kind of find it hard to believe I can actually run more than a few feet all at once still. Seriously, if you have seen the program but haven't tried it, do. If I can get going on it, if Audrey can get going on it, then it works. Hands down. Here's the link:
http://http//www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

There are also several ipod apps to sync up your music to the interval cues. Very cool.

So Audrey and I have decided to embark on a little challenge this summer to keep each other motivated and tap into some of that friendly competiveness we both share. Today was ground zero for us - we both ran our first 5ks! Hers in Nashville and mine here in Little Rock. Gotta tell you a secret.

She smoked me.

I'm sure she'll post shortly, but she totally kicked my behind. I could blame taking a week off for a little injury or that damned hill at the very end, but in the end, she just outran me today, although I'm pleased with my starting time: 29:58, which put me thisclose to the outside limits of my goal for the day - to finish between 28 and 30 minutes. My pace was about a 9:40 mile. A little tight, but I made it. I finished 30th in my age division and 615 overall in the field (shoutout to my Nashville years?).

SO - to wrap up a rambling post - I've got some work to do, but I'm glad to know where I stand. I think our next checkpoint is sometime in mid-August (right Aud?), but I may run the "Big Dam Bridge Twilight 5k" next Saturday just to get another under my belt in between. It'll be a bear of a race - 7:30 at night (so hot hot hot) and across a bridge with a pretty steady incline up on both ends...and you run across it twice. Think I'm up for it?

Finally, as the wife of a Marine, I would be remiss in closing without wishing everyone a very, very happy and safe Fourth of July holiday! I hope you all enjoy celebrating our Independence Day, and remember freedom isn't free! (Neither are DUIs, so easy does it tonight, ok?)

Anyhoo - that's where I'm at! I'll leave it to the pro to wrap up her day!


Oh-and Audrey. You know I HAAATE losing...It's on like Donkey Kong! ;)
Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...