Who's Reading?

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Week Nine: Day Four

Good morning!

I really have very little to report from yesterday...except that it was a rough day! 

FOOD AND DRINK:  Banana, cup of coffee, and a smoothie for breakfast.  This did nothing for my crazy greasy food craving.  I went about my morning of getting the kids ready for church as usual, though, and stayed out of the kitchen.  I drank a lot of water.  After Bible study, I stopped at Sonic for the $1.99 Kids Meals for the kids.  I'm not sure if my intention was to drive myself even crazier, but I very literally sat there holding Zoe's hamburger for a good 10 minutes while I prayed HARD to not eat it.  At this point in my day all I wanted was a large meal and a good nap.  I got one of those...surprisingly for this house, it was the latter!  I resisted the hamburger, I had gotten apple slices for everyone with their meals, so those weren't tempting me, and I made myself a "Just For One" broccoli with cheese sauce snack when we got home.  Calorie count = 45.  It actually did make me feel a little better, too!  The kids all layed down easily, I drank my smoothie and more water, and everyone got a siesta in the middle of our day.  Yay!  This made the afternoon downright enjoyable.  Until the boys got into the mud "swamp" in the neighbors' yard.  Sigh.  Story of my life.  For dinner we had Black-Eyed Pea and Sausage Chili with cornbread.  SO delicious.  I tried to figure up the calorie count, but it made a large pot of chili and I was then confused about how to determine serving size?  Any tips?  I decided to just focus on eating until I was full, then walking away.  It worked well.  And I slept like a rock last night....I'm assuming the kids did, as well.  Ha!

TIPS/ISSUES:  I am getting a little bored with this "routine" of two of whatever per day and one meal.  A friend has recommended the "17 Day Diet", so I downloaded the book to my Kindle and plan to start Monday!  I will give more details later, but I am hoping this will help me through the weekend.  The smoothies still taste good, I think I am just losing some of my motivation with the monotony.  In the past, this 10 pounds before breaking back into the 190's is HARD for me.  I need to focus!  Today I am visiting a friend and we are going for a walk.  Another friend has officially registered for the 1/2 marathon, and we talked yesterday about really buckling down and allowing NO excuses for missing walks!!  I am going to add to my accountability by adding a WALK/RUN category...

WALK/RUN:  Honestly, did nothing yesterday.  Plan for today is walk a total of 60 minutes.  Jenny, if you are reading this, don't worry!  I won't force you to join me for the whole 60!  This may take two different walks to add to my total, but I promise to get 60 TOTAL minutes today.

Have a great day!

xoxo

Black-Eyed Pea and Sausage Chili
1 lb. sausage
1 large onion, chopped
1 bag frozen black-eyed peas, thawed (the recipe calls for just thawing, but I would recommend    
                                   cooking them a bit based on the consistency we ended up with last night)
1 bag frozen corn, thawed (same as black-eyed peas side note)
2 cans beef broth
2 cans tomato sauce (8 ounce cans)
1 T oregano
2 t garlic powder
1/2 t pepper
1/2 t salt

In a large pot (I used a skillet), combine sausage and onion.  Cook until browned; drain.  Add remaining ingredients (I put everything in a crock-pot).  Simmer for 30 minutes.  (I put my crock-pot on high for 1 hour).

Total calorie count was 2900.  Five of us got one bowl full of chili (normal sized bowls), Zoe ate about 3/4 of a bowl full, I took about 4 servings to the neighbor's, Shaun and Conner each had seconds, and I think there was about one serving left...so this adds up to 13?  Let's round down and call it 12 servings?  This would make 242 calories per bowl.  Nice!  This chili was really good.  We had cornbread (170 calories per "serving"), but it would have been awesome with crackers during a football game! 

Okay, bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...